Who to register or Third party registration
I am registering
Who to register or Third party registration
1. Declare a legal representative
In the article IV of the Law of Patients’ Right, a patient has the right to be represented.
Two scenarios can arise:
- Minor children
- of age patients who, according to the healthcare practitioner, are de facto not capable to express their will (e.g. a person who is in a coma).
The legal representative has the same rights as the patient. He can access, via the secure portal of the Brussels Health Network, the documents of the patient of which he is the legal representative who are shared on the health networks.
The legal representative has access to the shared file of the child under the age of 12 who is registered on the Brussels Health Network, insofar as he is registered as a representative of this child.
For a child between 12 and 16 years old, only the health professionals who have a therapeutic relationship with the child have access to his electronic health file. The legal representative will always be able to exercise this right and consult the contents of the documents in paper format by making the request to the care provider.
Registration of minor children
Regarding the registration of minor children, it is assumed that from the age of sixteen, minors are capable of registering consent by themselves. Before the age of sixteen, this right reverts back to the legal representative.
- If the minor has an ISI or ISI + card, the child’s legal representative may ask the GP, the admissions department of a hospital, mutual or pharmacists to record the consent of the child.
- If the minor has neither an eID identity card nor an ISI / ISI + card, please complete the pdf form and return it to the administrative department of Abrumet.
This article published on the FPS public health explains very well this notion of legal representative.
Registration of a person who is mentally incapacitated to make a decision
In the absence of a legal representative appointed by the adult patient, the patient’s legislative rights provides that where the patient is mentally incompetent to make a decision, the administrator of the person, his close spouse or parent may have to make a decision on the person’s behalf (in priority order provided in the law). As part of the shared digital health records, this means that the decision to consent to data sharing could be performed by one of the persons referred to above.
If the patient has an ISI or ISI + card, the patient’s legal representative may ask the GP, the admissions department of a hospital, mutual or pharmacists to record the consent of the patient.
If the patient has neither an eID identity card nor ISI / ISI + card, please complete the pdf form and return it to the administrative department of Abrumet.
If the patient is not incapacitated anymore, he or she can obviously withdraw consent at any time.
2. Declare a person of trust
When the patient experiences a loss of autonomy and has difficulty managing his or her medical file, a person or persons of trust may be nominated. This will help in managing the shared health folder but only the patient themselves can take decisions affecting him of her. The identity of the person of trust must be registered on the Brussels Health Network.
To do this, the patient and trustworthy person must have registered their consent.
- The Brussels Health Network platform allows you to create a link with the trustworhty person of our choice. The patient logs in to the private space with his identity card and pin code or with its Itsme account. In the profile section, clic on “trusted person” button and fill in the ID number and the card number of the chosen “trustworhty person”
- You can also use a pdf document to send to the administrative department of Abrumet.
- Some hospital admission services allow registration of a link to the person of trust.
3. Registration of a foreign nationals
Foreign citizens officially residing in Belgium who, like Belgian citizens, possess an EID card. They can therefore also give their consent and have access to the Brussels Health Network.
Choose the registration of consent method that suits you best.
Those not yet considered as official residents in Belgium but are receiving social benefits were given a bis number by the Crossroads Bank for social security . This number can also be used to record consent.
- If the first 6 digits of the NISS number does not match your birth date, complete the pdf form and return it to the administrative department of Abrumet.
- For online registration, it is imperative that you use Internet Explorer.
The Brussels Health Network brings together all public and private Brussels hospitals as well as the French and Dutch speaking associations of general practitioners in Brussels (FAMGB and BHAK). We are the ideal partner for any project related to e-health in the Brussels region.